About the FILE OF LIFE:
The FILE OF LIFE originated over twenty years ago in a slightly different form as the Vial of Life, which was to be kept inside the refrigerator. But the small vial, with a piece of paper containing medical information inside of it, kept getting lost. In addition, when moisture accumulated in the vial, the information became unreadable. “The emergency personnel don’t have the time to clean out the refrigerator to find the vial,” said Director Marilyn Ishler, who helped organize the program.
The FILE OF LIFE provides a substantial preventive step that a person can take. Its visibility and readability ensure that emergency personnel can access it quickly when responding to an emergency medical call. The information contained in the FILE OF LIFE would not only be helpful, but potentially lifesaving. Listing the person(s) to contact when an emergency occurs is of particular value to public safety personnel.
File of Life Use Instructions and Ordering Information
What is it used for?
The FILE OF LIFE information pack enables First Responders, responding to an emergency call, to obtain a quick medical history when the patient is unable to offer one. The medical information card eliminates the risk of the patient who, in a confused or incapacitated state, may forget important information that can help the First Responder assess the patients condition. The pack includes 1 Personal Medical Record form, 2 Wallet Personal Medical Information cards, 1 HFVA Information card, and 1 front door window/door sticker.
The information card, which is kept in a red plastic pocket labeled FILE OF LIFE, lists the patient’s name, emergency medical contacts, insurance policy and social security #’s, health problems, medications, dosages, allergies, recent surgeries, religion, doctor’s name and a health care proxy and initiative. The entire pocket is held, with a magnet, placed on the patients refrigerator.
Benefits to our Residents and Community:
• Peace of mind knowing they will have prompt and quality care.
• It provides easy access to potentially life‐saving information.
• Assurance the proper person will be notified quickly.
• Peace of mind knowing that your local Fire Department and EMS responders are involved with its residents.
• It provides a renewed sense of community spirit.
• It saves precious time during an emergency.
• It provides vital medical information to EMS responders when you are unable to answer questions.
Who should have a FILE OF LIFE:
• Any resident, regardless of age, who may become incapacitated or become confused because of a condition or emergency.
*There is NO COST to obtain a File of Life packet